Get the dirt on diapering
Tips and tricks to make diaper changes quick, easy and mess-free.
To your stations
Set up a changing station in a warm and clean space. Find out how here.
It’s a good idea to set up a few changing stations around your home so that diapers, wipes and cream are always within easy reach.
Hang on tight
Even if you are using a changing pad with straps, always hold on to your baby while changing him. Babies can turn, squirm and fall off the changing area, so keep an eye – and a hand – on your baby all the time.
Make change time fun time
Some babies like being changed but most will squirm and fuss. Make changing time a little easier by placing mobiles, pictures or toys around your changing station. Sing or talk to your baby, tell them what you’re doing and when they’re older, get them to ‘help’ by holding on to the wipes pack or cream with both hands. Babies love the colourful prints on Huggies® Diapers, so give them a clean diaper to play with. Distract, occupy or make your baby feel like they’re part of the changing process – whatever works best for you.
Getting down to it
- Wash your hands.
- Place your baby face up on the changing area.
- Open up a clean diaper and place it under your baby, so it’s ready to go.
- Unfasten the dirty diaper and fold the tabs back on themselves to prevent them from sticking to you or your baby.
- Place a small towel over your baby’s genitals in case they decide now’s as good a time as any to pee.
- Holding your baby’s ankles in one hand, gently lift their bottom and pull the diaper away. If your baby’s done a poop, clean as much as you can with the dirty diaper, then fold the dirty diaper over and rest their bottom on it to keep the new diaper clean.
- Clean your baby using Huggies® Clean Care Baby Wipes. They’re all natural, hypoallergenic and clinically safe for newborns and sensitive skin. Remember to clean between the creases of your baby’s thighs and bottom and only from front to back.
- Let your baby’s skin air dry for a few minutes, then pat dry with a clean towel.
- Apply a rash cream or petroleum jelly. Huggies® Diapers are clinically proven to prevent diaper rash and the cream acts as an additional protective barrier. Find out more about preventing diaper rash here.
- Remove the dirty diaper and set it aside. Your new diaper is under your baby and ready to go.
- Pull the front half of the diaper up to your baby’s tummy. If your baby is a newborn, fold the waistband down so it doesn’t cover the umbilical cord. If your baby is a boy, point his penis downwards so he doesn’t pee out of his diaper.
- Make sure the part of the diaper between your baby’s legs is spread as wide as is comfortable. Fasten the diaper snugly but not so tight that it pinches your baby’s skin. Angle the tabs downwards for boys.
- Dress your baby and put them somewhere safe, like on a play mat or in the crib.
- Dump any poop into the toilet if possible. Fold up the dirty diaper and put it in the dustbin or diaper pail.
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
More helpful hints
- Huggies® Platinum Newborn Diapers have a back pocket to prevent leaks but if poop keeps leaking out the back of your baby’s diaper, it’s time to go up a size.
- Carry extra plastic bags when you’re out in case there’s no convenient bin to throw your dirty diapers in. Find out what else should go into your diaper bag here.
- Have fun with it. You’ll be changing lots of diapers and many won’t be pretty. But things will go smoother if you make diaper changing fun for both of you. Take the chance for some special one-on-one time.
Click here for free samples of Huggies® Diapers.